Paul Kedrosky, made me aware of a very good overview on VC and Innovation by Gilman Louie. Since I am lately asked by many fellow entrepreneurs about what one should look for in a VC, slide 11 is a good summary:
Attributes of Great VCs
- Bets on people not trends
- Driven by the big idea
- Looking for the homerun
- Not afraid of failure
- Knows how to thread the needle to get success
- Understand how to develop and manage a portfolio of risk
- Serves as a fantastic coach
- Does his/her best work outside the board room
- Not waiting for validation from other VCs
I would definitely agree on: people not trends, not afraid of failure, fantastic coach, and does his/her best work outside the boardroom.
Sign up for my email list!