Susan participated in an Avatar panel at SXSW in Austin and shared some of her notes with us on Avartars, Virtual worlds and Gaming. She also points to a very interesting academic study on Game Studies (download).
- Games need more laughter in the slaughter
- Players want to help other players do well in the game even when the game is competitive
- Games need non-white characters who are not gangsters or criminals.
- Gamers are less social than you think they are, less social than even THEY think they are
- How do players learn to play? If it looks like a sniper, it should act like a sniper
- Gestural interfaces that make sense, make sense for specific reasons.
- You can quantify which factors matter most in immersive game design.
- There are multiple ways to approach realism
- There is such a thing as ethical videogame design
- Death matters..
Sign up for my email list!